In this issue you will find:
Halloween Costume Contest Winners
Food Shelf Update
Costume Contest Winners
Our Halloween Costume Contest winners are:
1st place goes to Roscoe as a black cat
2nd place goes to Carter and Randle as Ninja Turtles.
3rd place goes to Sydney as Lil Red Riding Hood.
Congratulations and thank you for the submissions.
DANGER! Thin Ice
Living in the St. Croix County, WI, area we all know that the weather is getting colder and that ice will soon be forming on the lakes, ponds, streams and rivers. In a few months people will be sitting in their ice houses and catching fish (among other things).
It seems like every winter we hear stories of people and animals going through the ice. Please remember that the ice is not safe when it first forms. While you may remember, your animals will not understand. They are unlikely to recognize that that new solid surface will break easily.
Dogs, cats and other animals have the same problems with hypothermia as people in cold water. Given that many are much smaller than people, they are likely to get colder much faster. If they go through the ice, you will not be able to safely rescue them. Doing so will only put you in danger also. Not all stories are as happy as the one in the pictures. Always Call For Help.
The best solution is to keep your animals away from thin ice. Keep in mind that even in extremely cold weather moving water does not freeze well. Rivers may look like the ice is thick, but 5 feet away the current is keeping it very thin.
As the weather gets colder we all start thinking about winterizing our cars. This includes checking the antifreeze and changing it if necessary.
Most antifreeze in cars is an alcohol called ethylene glycol. It has a sweet taste that is very enticing to many animals. It is also highly toxic. Ethylene glycol is rapidly absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract. Around 50% is rapidly metabolized in the liver into extremely toxic compounds. These compounds cause severe metabolic problems and form crystals inside kidney cells. The crystals destroy the cells that help filter and concentrate the urine. When these cells die, the kidneys can no longer complete their vital function of filtering waste products from the blood. Even small amounts of antifreeze can kill an animal.
Because ethylene glycol is an alcohol, the first stage symptoms appear as central nervous system signs. An animal may appear to be drunk (altered mentation, weakness and decreased motor control). These symptoms can appear within 30 minutes and usually peak between 6 and 12 hours after ingestion. Stage II is seen more in people than animals, usually 12 to 24 hours after ingestion. Signs include increased heart and respiratory rates, mild hypertension, decreased blood oxygen levels, pulmonary edema and heart failure. Stage III, acute kidney failure, usually occurs 24 to 72 hours after ingestion.
The best solution is to keep pets far away from any antifreeze and to make sure that open containers of antifreeze are not left where a pet can find it and drink from it. If you suspect your pet has consumed antifreeze, please have it seen by a veterinarian immediately. Do not wait until the next day or the next morning. The sooner treatment begins the better the prognosis. Once the acute kidney failure starts the prognosis becomes very poor.
Nail trims for Food Shelf Donations
Over 17 million children go to bed hungry in the US. Sadly, for many children the only meals they consistently get are at school. Food shelf orgnizations like we have in Roberts can help tremendously.
Our program of offering routine nail trims in exchange for donations to the Roberts Food Shelf continues. So far this year we have collected 523 lbs of goods and $139!
We ask for a donation worth between $10 and $15 in exchange for the nail trim.
As we near the end of the year, please help us reach our goal of 1000 lbs.